Your dream of owning a blog is about to come true, but you don’t know which blogging platform to use. There are many good ones, and it can be a tough choice. This article will tell you more about each blogging platform so you can choose well.
Best blogging platforms 2022
There are many blogging platforms for the different needs of people. Now let’s see the advantages and disadvantages of each of the best blogging platforms.
WordPress, the most popular blogging platform globally, started in 2003. It has powered more than 43% of all the websites on the internet. WordPress.org is different from wordpress.com because wordpress.com is a blog hosting service. While WordPress.org is an open-source, free blogging platform that helps you build your blog or website.
WordPress.org is a self-hosted service. It means that you need a WordPress hosting provider to sign up to utilise it well. The WordPress software is free but requires buying a domain name and hosting. This is your best bet if you want complete control of your blog.
Here are a few reasons why you should use wordpress.org.
- You can add extra features like an online store, forum, and membership sites as your business grow.
- Many themes are available on the WordPress platform, both free and paid. This gives the choice of creating a beautiful website for your business.
- WordPress.org gives you maximum control over all aspects of your blog.
- If you want to make money with your blog, then wordpress.org is your best option.
- You will have access to over 50,000 plugins for your business or website.
- WordPress is search engine friendly, so your blog can easily rank high in search engines.
- You can have dynamic content on your site so you can easily add videos, social media feeds, graphs, Adsense, charts and more without being technically inclined.
- You can also add google analytics added to your website. This enables you to see the vital stats about your site.
- You need a little time to learn how to use it properly.
- You will need to manage your security and backups with WordPress.org security.
This is a popular website builder platform with a built-in feature that helps you add a blog to your website. You can also create an online store as the platform is straightforward to use. You can choose from dozens of pre-made templates and customise them to your taste, all starting from $1.95. Web.com has excellent features like blog security features, SEO tools, autosave, backup, website analytics and more.
Web.com offers flexible pricing plans. The starter plan comes with a drag and drop site builder, hundreds of templates, a blogging platform, a free domain and thousand of free stock images and costs $1.95 per month. They have a marketing plan that comes with powerful SEO tools, and it costs only $2.95 a month. They have an eCommerce plan which comes with eCommerce features that start at $3.95 per month.
Here are some of the pros of this blogging platform.
- It is a beginner-friendly blogging platform with a drag-and-drop website builder that requires no coding.
- It has affordable pricing. The starting price of $1.95 per month has all the essential features.
- It has lots of fully customisable templates for your blog.
- A free domain is included with all paid plans.
- They offer continuous 24/7 customer service via email, phone and live chat.
- Web.com has an easy set-up as the website takes care of all the technicals details of hosting your site.
- It is difficult to switch to another website later as web.com is a proprietary website builder.
- Their app system or extensions are small so you won’t have many plugins like WordPress.
- Its blogging features are not as powerful as WordPress.
Wix.com is a well-known blogging hosted platform to build websites with over 11 million users worldwide. Mix was founded in 2006 as a platform where people can create a beautiful website with no coding skills required. They have a drag and drop website builder that provides a way for small businesses to build a website easily and add a blog.
The basic Wix website builder is free. But with this plan, you will get a subdomain with the Wix site, for example- yoursitename.wixsite.com. You can add a custom domain for $4.50 per month. They have premium plans that start at $8.50 a month and go up to $24.50 every month.
- The set-up for Wix is easy and fast.
- You can build your site with their easy drag and drop builder, with no need for coding skills.
- With Wix, you can customise your site using a wide range of third-party apps and templates.
- The free account of Wix is limited and shows the Wix branding and ads only on your site.
- They have limited third-party apps in their free plans.
- You cannot change a template once you pick one.
- You can only get eCommerce features in the paid plans.
- HubSpot CMS
The HubSpot CMS hub is a joint blogging platform that is suitable for small, medium and large businesses. It is built on the popular HubSpot marketing and CRM tools. This means that you can use the HubSpot CMS platform to create a website, send newsletters, manage your customer list, get more email subscribers and many more.
With their website builder, it is easy for you to customise our website design layout and personalise your content. This means that you can customise the content so your readers to see content based on their past behaviour. The pricing starts at $25 every month with all the features included. You have to upgrade to higher pricing tiers to get SEO recommendations and advanced features.
- With HubSpot CMS you get a free SSL certificate for your blog.
- It is an easy drag and drop builder that requires no coding skills.
- It is fully optimised for SEO purposes
- You can get it up and running quickly and easily since HubSpot is hosting the site for you
- The HubSpot CMS does not have a free version even though they offer free tools like contact management, email management and form.
- They have a steep pricing structure as you go up.
- If you want to move from another blogging platform to HubSpot, it is a tedious and lengthy migration process.
Hostgator is a popular web hosting company, and they created Gator as their website builder. With it, you can get a drag and drop builder to help you build any website of your choice. You can set up a website, blog or an online store with it.
If you don’t want to use WordPress and need an all-in-one website builder with a hosting service, you should go with Gator. The starter plan costs $3.46 per month with all the features for a successful blog.
- Hostgator adds backup, security and performance all.
- Gator can easily add an online store to your blog with just a few clicks.
- You have a quick set-up with a gator as there is no technical hassle.
- You will get a free domain and SSL certificate with all plans.
- It is an easy drag and drop builder that helps your blog.
- Few extensions and apps.
- There is no free, but they have 45 days money-back guarantee.
- If you want eCommerce features added, you need to pay for higher plans.
WordPress.com is a blog hosting service that Automattic provides. This is different from wordpress.org as the WordPress.org co-founder Matt Mullenweg creates Automattic. It offers a free, basic blog hosting service. They started in 2005 to give more people the WordPress experience. It is completely free to have a blog with wordpress.com but it will have WordPress ads and branding. You can get more custom options like more storage, custom domain name and other premium services.
If you want to remove the logo and advertisement from your site, you need to pay $4 per month though it is charged yearly. If you pay $8 per month (also charged yearly), you will get more features like more storage and additional design tools. You will also get a custom domain.
- It has easy management and set-up
- There is no coding skills or technical skill required to set up.
- It is entirely free.
- There are limited options to extend your site, as you can’t use custom themes or plugins.
- WordPress.com owns your site and can suspend it against their terms of service.
- You can’t run advertisements; rather, WordPress will show their ads on your site.
Blogger offers a quick and easy way to create a blog for people that are not technically inclined. This is a free blogging service provided by the search engine giant Google. Launched in 1999 by Pyra Labs, it is one of the earliest blogging platforms to come out on the internet. It was acquired in 2003 by Google.
Blogger is completely free, but you have a subdomain like this – yoursite.blogpost.com. You can get a custom domain by buying from the third party domain registrar.
- It is free to use blogger.
- It has the advantage of Google’s secure platform.
- Very easy to manage and use.
- You are limited to a few blogging tools that can not add new features as you grow with a blogger.
- Its design options are limited as it has few templates.
- It does not offer frequent updates or features.
- Google owns it and can suspend your blog at any time if you go against their terms.
This is another blogging platform, but it differs from others. It is a microblogging platform with added social networking features. Inside Tumblr, you will have reblogging tools, sharing tools, and following other blogs.
The Tumblr blogging platform is free to use and you can buy a custom folding name for it.
- It is free to use though you’ll have a subdomain like yoursite.tumblr.com. You can also get a custom domain name if you want.
- It is integrated with a social media component.
- You can set it u easily.
- You can quickly make blog videos, images, audio since it is a microblogging tool.
- This blogging platform has limited features, and you can’t extend it as your blog grows.
- It is difficult to back up your Tumblr blog or import it to other platforms.
- There are many themes available, but you can’t offer more features.
The medium was launched in 20212 and has grown into a community of writers, journalists, experts and bloggers. Medium is an easy-to-use blogging platform with added social networking tools. It works like an asocial networking site to create and start publishing content. When you sign up, you will get an address like medium.com/yoursite. However, you cannot have a custom domain name.
It is entirely free to use medium, and you can start writing immediately you create an account.
- Medium helps you to focus entirely on writing instead of designing a website.
- It is effortless to set up, manage and use.
- It allows you to reach a large audience online and usually people of similar interest.
- It has limited features in terms of building a brand or designing.
- You cannot run your ads
- You cannot get your custom domain name
- Medium owns your audience if you lose your blog, you’ve lost all your followers.
10. Duda. co
This is a professional website builder you can call, launched in 2008. With Duda, you get a flexible and customisable platform. The platform can be used for business sites, blogs and eCommerce stores.
The basic plan price is $14, while the agency plan is $44. They also have an enterprise plan that can be customised as requested.
- It has full backups for your blog posts.
- It is easy and simple to use.
- You can make stylish sites with it.
- There are millions of images for you to use.
- It has a higher cost than others
- It is not easily customised.
- It costs more to add eCommerce to your blog.
This website builder allows using drag and drop tools to build beautiful sites. Squarespace is focused on small businesses that need a way to create an online presence. It started in 2003 and currently powers millions of websites on the internet today.
Square has different pricing plans starting at $16 a month for the personal plan. The business plan costs $26 per month or $18/month if you pay for a year. If you pay for a year, it comes down to $12 per month. If you want an online store, the price starts from $26 a month and rises to $40 a month.
- It has beautiful and professionally designed templates.
- It is simple and easy to use.
- It offers domain names separately with SSL/HTTPS and eCommerce stores.
- Its integrations are limited to a few services and tools.
- It is limited to the features built into their system.
This is a minimalist blogging platform focused on writing only, started in 2013. Ghost is available as a hosted platform and comes as software you can install yourself. You need a custom domain and hosting with the self-hosted version.
The price for the hosted version starts from $29 a month for 2 users. And there is a 100k page limit. Your blog will be a subdomain of Ghost unless you buy a domain name from a third-party registrar.
- It is entirely focused on blogging.
- There is a clean, clutter-free user interface.
- Not easy to customise the apps.
- If you install it yourself, the setup is complicated.
- There aren’t enough themes to change the appearance of the site.
- The simple user interface means limited options.
This is a blogging platform that is designed with SEO in mind. It is a drag and drop platform with many beautiful templates to choose from. It is a do-it-yourself website builder with excellent features and tools for a great blog.
- Easy to set up and easy.
- It helps small businesses start an eCommerce store quickly.
- It has incredible AI-powered tools.
- It has unlimited storage and bandwidth in all the plans.
- It is not easy to customise.
- There is no free option.
- You can’t switch templates with Zyro
Best blogging platforms: Conclusion
Now, you have read about the list of the top blogging platform, if you’re ready to start a blog, then, I will recommend building your blog using wordpress.org.
You only need to register for a domain name and get web hosting to get started.
Steps to make money from a blogging platform
After going through the above list and picking a blogging platform, the next thing you should think about is how to monetise it. There are many ways to make money from your blog. However, before we get to the ways, you must know that you cannot monetise your site with a free platform. It would help if you got your domain name and hosting for you to be able to make money from it.
You can monetise using Google Adsense. To do this, choose a good niche and start writing blog posts on different topics on that niche. Then you can apply to Google Adsense and if you are approved, they will lapse links and advert images on your site.
You can also sell affiliate offers on your site. When people buy the products and services you recommend in your blog; you will get a sales commission.
All you do is to write a review of a product you have used and put a link on your site where those interested can buy the product. This way, after reading your blog, they will go ahead and buy if they like the product.
You can sell a service or skill to people. You can also sell your products and services to the people visiting your site. Just create an ebook or course or any digital product that will explain in detail what your subscribers want to know and sell it to them. You can also become a consultant and sell advice based on your chosen niche.
Another way you can use this platform is to sell advert spaces for business owners. When your blog starts getting enough traffic, then you can let businesses place their banner on your site and collect money from them.
In case you have any questions about the list of the best blogging platforms, kindly let me know from your comment.